Monday, March 2, 2015

Don't Shit Where You Beat

I'm an Instagram junkie, well truth be told, a social media junkie in general. When I was a stay-at-homer, it was my only means of social interaction but since I pursued esthetics, I find Instagram very useful career-wise. You can utilize hashtags and get your work and questions out there to possible business connections or potential clients. I cruise the hashtags related to topics dear to my heart. I tend to favor #mua, #makeup, #muaproblems, etc. I love to look at other artist's work and get a feel for new looks and techniques. I love the artists that come at you with an air of "There's more than one way to skin a cat"; not "This is my way and the ONLY way." I scroll through photo after and photo and gag on the amazing work by talented artists and feel motivated to step up my game. From time to time, I glance down at the caption and realize it's an artist belittling the work of their peers, or obviously people they "think" aren't on their level. There's an entire group of mua(s) bagging on what they refer to as a stupid trend they hope passes soon in reference to contouring. I can't understand why you wouldn't want wearable photoshop but that's just me. The entire purpose is to pull forward your best features and push back the not-so-desirable. They argue that it's only meant for drag queens with manly features but that's not the case. Drag makeup isn't buffed out quite as much and is intended for the stage, which is why you'll never see a queen out at your local Starbucks at high-noon in a full beat, clutching a white chocolate mocha. For a woman, if its done subtly and blended appropriately, the results can be stunning and entirely change the look of your face. What's interesting to me, is that most often you will find that the very "trends" that some mua(s) dislike are the very thing your client is going to plop down in your chair and ask for because they see it on TV and think they look beautiful because they do. Do I look the same without it? NO and I mean NO. You know when you're asked for Kim Kardashian's "natural look" that the only "natural" thing about it as that you can expect it to take an hour to execute that beat. You should do it and save the derogatory statements for the cocktail hour with your girlfriends later. I talk mad trash but not where my money is concerned. Your money is affected by your very public Instagram, just sayin'.

In a world where your business card extends far passed a cardboard rectangle embossed with your logo, everything you do and say regarding your field will trickle out to possible future clientele and even worse, previous clients. It's entirely possible that someone has come to you and asked you for the very look you're now trashing. Of course, you do what the client asks for but what if you did it to appease them and they later see how you really felt about it? Picture it: "Oh look there's Suzie's Instagram! I love her work, she was so funny, and oooooh…….. Ouch." They're never coming back and I don't blame them. Your working situation will also be bad with fellow artists who don't want to work with you or recommend you because you have a stank attitude and will possibly later dog out their work.

In my opinion, within any industry, when you feel you have nothing left to learn from another experienced professional or even a novice, you're stagnated. When you've gotten too big for your britches and there's nothing left to learn, I guess the next logical move is to slam others. It always turns into a female version of a pissing contest as to who has been in the industry longer. I'll be the first to admit that I'm fresh and I have a lot to learn. I welcome advice and want every opportunity to grow at my craft and become as good as I can be. I loathe the attitude that you can't learn anything from anybody and everyone else in your field is the enemy or competition. I have had the opportunity to work alongside some of the best artists out there and it was the most humbling experience of my life. I watched Lori Taylor apply eyeshadow on a patron at The Makeup Show Dallas with the same awe and concentration others might reserve for their favorite baseball player at bat. 


I love to see people passionate about what they do and I hate to see anyone tearing anyone down within a community and forgive me, but the beauty industry seems to be one of the worst for it. I'm so over the cattiness and want to wish everyone all the best.  We need to build each other up and I'll be the first to tell someone when something is on point. I will then hope they're willing to tell me how to get there, myself. I know my attributes and I know my flaws and there is always more to learn. There is always someone else you could stand to be kind to that may have an opportunity for you later. There's is always someone that knows something you don't. Being able to show your view on it without being an asshat is an art-form in and of itself. Basically, just don't be a dick in general. Referring to people as "fresh" or "green" is going to hurt a lot more when they surpass you because they had an openness and willingness to listen, learn, and rise. Some people let their haters become their motivators so I'd be careful. If you ever wonder where that Jane Doe went that asked for the smokey eye and contour, you might refer to your post about basic bitches who contour. To anyone who's ever felt deterred from posts like that just remember that you had a purpose before anyone had an opinion. In the words of Chris Crocker, "It's a hair flip, girl, and you cool again".

No comments:

Post a Comment