Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Waisting My Precious Facebook Time.

Lately, I’ve noticed a lot of facebookers complaining about people who post too much or tell you about every little thing they do.  I will admit, statuses like “At the store” can make things like, “Well, I’ll alert the media!”, cross my mind but, I guess what I find amusing about it is that if someone is so annoyed by it, there are options through account settings that allow you to either delete that person or just hide their statuses, (which leaves less hurt feelings).  If you’re reading statuses by someone who frequently annoys you, what does that say about you?  Some people are just addicted to the “ick” factor.  The love to hate…  Hey it’s okay; it’s been me once or twice.  I’m rarely exempt from the same things I gripe out, let me just say that now.  Although, one should admit they are in the same “place” at the same time to get their daily dose o’ boring, too.   I think people lose sight of the fact that people may have several friends on their friend list but actually only interact with a select few.  In most cases, it’s family.  I’ve never added anyone I didn’t actually know but over time I got very slovenly with my “adds”.  I realize I share a lot via facebook but that’s because my family is scattered all over the country.  I had to clean facebook house and take it down to people I love, family, and those who would most likely actually address me if they saw me in a public place.  My family uses facebook as a “check in” tool.  No one has to make any long, drawn-out phone calls to make sure everyone’s okay and to keep up with their day to day lives.  We share pictures, stories, videos and it’s a very useful way for us to feel like a piece of us is there and witnessing it even though we’re so far apart.   Not every status someone produces has anything to do with you or was even intended for you or had a thought of you when written.  It’s kind of arrogant to assume that. I could understand being annoyed if someone stopped you in a store to tell you some mundane thing you didn’t care to hear because that’s on your time.  Well, it was on facebook…………….and you’re on facebook.  Get where I’m goin’ with this?  It just happens to be in a public forum, (as odd as that sounds even in my own head….)  I guess these are modern times, people.  I think there are two options;  either enjoy being a fly on the wall or “hide status”.  It’s a handy little tool.  I wish I’d have had the option to “hide” people all my life.  For some of you, I sure do enjoy being a fly on the wall of your life.

3 comments:

  1. Well said. I love that hide tool. The other day I was thinking about someone that I hadn't seen post in a while. I thought "I'll be they've unfriended me." But when I checked, I had hidden them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Misty! I have hidden quite a few "friends" because I didn't want to hurt feelings and got tired of their rants on how crappy their life is and I won't mention other things that annoy the crap out of me. I've actually set it up where people can't see my posts. One in particular is my husband's friend. I told him over a year ago when I defriended him the first time that he doesn't need to comment to my husband about my posts on facebook, because my hubby despises facebook and then I never hear the end of it. Well, over a month ago, he tells my hubby, that he probably knows more about me than my own husband from the posts in regard to me digging holes for my palms, the dogs or just random nothingness. And how he is annoyed his boyfriend does the same thing. I didn't want to hurt his feelings once again, so I set it up where he can't read my posts anymore, yet I didn't defriend him. I'm like you, if you don't like what I have to say or don't like my comment on what I had to say about your post-defriend me or hide me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post....I'm relieved that I'm still your friend! LOL I've pared down my friends list, too. There are just some people who I want to keep up with, but don't really want to know what they're up to on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete